Wednesday, March 15, 2017

March is Women's History Month!

Until I started working in an elementary school, I had never heard that March is Women's History Month.  Now that I know, I enjoy reading about obscure women that have done remarkable things.

Esther Morris helped get women the vote in Wyoming in 1869 and went on to become a judge in that State.  I found a delightful animated semi-animated video version of this book if you want to watch.

I don't think many people have heard Gertrude Ederle's story and this book tells the story of her life in such a compelling way with the added bonus of fabulous illustrations.  
E. Nesbit was a famous children's book author, but very few people (especially Americans) have heard of her or read her books.  This illustrated and slightly abridged version of The Book of Beasts is one of my very favorites and it is truly marvelous when read aloud.  If you have never read any E. Nesbit books, I highly recommend The Story of the Treasure Seekers and The Railway Children. You are in for a delightful read.

  
E. Nesbit - one of the first authors who wrote for children
My favorite E. Nesbit book.

No comments:

Post a Comment